Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rooting African Violets

Until the end of last year I never had an African violet of my own.  When I worked (long ago), I took care of one.  When I was in Lowe's browsing through the clearance plant racks and saw one for 75 cents, I snatched it up.  A couple weeks later I was gifted with a second. 


The colors are the same, but the petals of one are a bit ruffled.  The leaves started growing out of control so I looked into rooting more plants.    I cut three leaves with a sharp knife and put them in old pill bottles.  Apparently the tan bottles help the water stay fresher.  My husband even came up with a nifty contraption so I could hang three in the kitchen window.



Then I prepared to wait.  The websites stated that it could take four to six weeks for roots to appear.  This week I needed to add a bit more water to the jars.  Imagine my surprise when three weeks later I had tiny roots on the leaves.  I need to pick up some soil at Lowe's this week and plant them.


I tried to get a good picture of the roots, but they are still on the small side.  I was very excited that it was so easy.  I have already been looking on eBay and have seen several offers of African violet leaves in lovely colors. I may need to clear out the second window sill so I have room for them all.

No comments: